Pages

Monday, January 13, 2014

Sheep to Shawl

Sorry this post took me so long to write.  Life has been crazy around here and working a retail schedule is hellish because there is no consistency.

Last Wednesday was the 35th annual Pennsylvania Farm Show Sheep to Shawl contest.  Basically, this is a competition where teams of 4 or 5 have two and half hours to shear a sheep, spin the fiber, and then weave a shawl.  Each team consists of 3 spinners and a weaver and some other teams have an alternate or a dedicated carder. I have had the opportunity to watch this event live for the past 4 years now.  It never ceases to amaze me how a team of people can take one sheep, 2.5 hours and create a work of art. Competing in this event is definitely on my 'bucket list.' 

Let's see some pictures, shall we? 

Sorry for the blurry cell phone picture.  This photo was taken as the teams were setting up their displays, looms, wheels, etc.

 Here you can see one of the looms warped and ready to go.

This little love gave a huge amount of fleece for one of the competing teams. I'd say enough came off for about 2.5 - 3 shawls!

Here is the competition in full swing. I just love the colors on that loom in the foreground.  Interestingly, that team's theme was Pennsylvania wines.  The yarn on the warp was hand dyed using wine from some of Pennsylvania's wineries!

During the competition, I worked on sock #2 for my hubby.  That sock turned out to be a huge problem child and I'm still not entirely what went wrong.  You'll hear more about that the next time you drop by.

Thanks for reading,
Care

No comments:

Post a Comment